Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Joy! Joy! Joy!

Reasons to have joy:

1. God has given us joy! “You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound.” Psalms 4:7

2. Thanks for our salvation! “May we shout for joy over your salvation, and in the name of our God set up our banners! May the LORD fulfill all your petitions!” Psalms 20:5

3. God is righteous! “Let those who delight in my righteousness shout for joy and be glad and say evermore,"Great is the LORD, who delights in the welfare of his servant!" Psalms 35:27

4. He is our help! “for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I will sing for joy.” Psalms 63:7

5. He is just! “Let the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you judge the peoples with equity and guide the nations upon earth.” Psalms 67:4


Ways to show our joy:

1. Shout! “Shout for joy in the LORD, O you righteous! Praise befits the upright.” Psalms 33:1

2. Sing! “And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the LORD.” Psalms 27:6

3. Play Instruments! “Then I will go to the altar of God, to God my exceeding joy, and I will praise you with the lyre, O God, my God.” Psalms 43:4

4. Clap! “Clap your hands, all peoples! Shout to God with loud songs of joy!” Psalms 47:1

5. Dance! "Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance, and the young men and the old shall be merry. I will turn their mourning into joy; I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow." Jeremiah 31:13

12 comments:

Robert W Moore said...

These are good lists, Elizabeth. I appreciate your diligence in researching and collecting these Bible references to our joy in the Lord.

As I'm sure you realize, life has it's twists and turns. Thank you for reminding us to remain joyful, for He is our Help!

Twain/Sparky said...

I like these Fruit of the Spirit posts. You probably already know, but we are moving to Blue Springs, Missouri, about 5-6 miles from Kansas City, Missouri. So we will only be 4 hrs. from you guys.

Wholesome Works said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wholesome Works said...

Elizabeth,

Oops! I deleted my last comment, here it is again.

Your posts on joy have been very good.

Here is one of my favorite quotes from the late Pastor Adrian Rogers:

"There's a difference between happiness and joy. Happiness depends on what happens. Joy is a state of being... Jesus was a man of sorrows; Jesus wept. When He was facing cruel Calvary, He was speaking of joy (John 15:11 NKJV)".

Zachary

Zac's mom said...

Hi Elizabeth,

Your posts on joy have been very encouraging!

I have enjoyed reading all of your blog posts. You are a very talented writer. Keep up the good work!

Mrs. P

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

Twain/Sparky,
I am excited about your family's move, and I am looking forward to meeting the latest addition to your family. She already looks so big in the pictures! It must be difficult to uproot again. You guys are still missed here in town!

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

Mrs. P,
Thank you for the encouragement! I am glad Study.Quiet has been a blessing in your life. I know that it has helped me in writing and in keeping God's Word on my mind. The best way to learn about something is to write about it!

Elizabeth

abby said...

This post is a great idea! I really like the list! I enjoy sometimes just going through the Bible and looking at the verses that are speaking about the same thing. It is always edifying. Thanks for sharing it!
-Abby

abby said...

heehee! I am very familiar with the Constitution Party!:)My family is all for them!:)

Unconformed said...

amen! very uplifting, elizabeth!

Gracie said...

This was a really good post. I have often wondered how to capture my words and write down about joy on my own blog, but I have not been able to. You however, versed it very well. :)

the traveler said...

I love your two joy posts. They are such a great reminder of what joy is, and how to have joy. Even though I want to be known as a joyful person, I have fallen completely short.