Thursday, March 08, 2007

Delete!

I deleted approximately 45% of the comments Study.Quiet received during the past month.

Shocked? Don’t be. Many comments deserve to be smothered before people have a chance to read them.

Don’t worry -- if you are reading this, they weren’t your comments. Comments have never been my goal, but it is a blessing to receive input from real people who have actually benefited from Study.Quiet. I do not appreciate comments from Mr. Anonymous – the unknown personage who flatters without sincerity and leaves me the “present” of a long list of links that would be an embarrassment on any Christian site.

Anonymous does not read or appreciate my blog posts. He simply pastes and posts the same generic list of worthless links over and over again on hundreds of blogs with the hope that his “littering” will generate more hits on his own websites. I don’t like it.

Many of you have probably undergone similar problems. Some of you have enabled comment moderation or word verification. That doesn’t sound like a bad idea right now. Who wants to delete comments everyday? Let us hope that Mr. Anonymous is lazy and won’t take the time to punch in the random letters.

Does any of this look familiar (minus the links)?

“You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it”

“Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great.”

“Very cool design! Useful information. Go on!”

“What a great site”

“That's a great story. Waiting for more.”

“Looking for information and found it at this great site..”

I hope word verification will put a halt to the flattering – but meaningless – comments. Have any of you had problems with “fake comments?”

“For Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it”. 1 Peter 3:10-11

9 comments:

Erin said...

Yes, I started getting a lot of "fake comments", and word verification has cleaned that up entirely!

Hannah Beth said...

Your post made me smile. I can relate as well. Thanks for using that example to reveal a deeper principle--about flattery.
God bless!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm really glad that you had fun with Kaitlin, I know she had a good time.

Steph

Mandy Grace said...

Wow, that's a lot of deleting! I haven't had that problem yet since I've always had the word verification turned on. But you've been blogging for longer than I have too. :-)

Bethany said...

Yes, I've had that same problem of spam-like comments. For me, the word verification took care of it completely, though it is more of a hassle for those who comment! And the verse you posted ties in so well -- thank you for sharing that!

Rachel Marie said...

Yes, I agree with your previous commenters... I also had to add the verification to my posting because of the spam problem!

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more.
Joking....

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

That is very funny, Anonymous. You had me for a minute there!

Hannah said...

You are funny:)
Sorry about ur "fake" comments i know what thats about lol