Friday, June 26, 2009

A Friend

What do friends do together? I don’t know about you, but when I was 10 years old my best friend and I ran races, climbed trees, spent hours sitting together, and had all sorts of adventures exploring the field and creek behind my house.

You may have similar memories, but in my case, my best friend was a cat. She was there for me when I needed companionship, a friend, and a creature to love and care for. I was there for her when she needed a home, food, protection, and love.

It has been 3 years today since Empress died, and I still think back with the fondest memories of her years with me. She was the sweetest and the best. As some of you know, I have been writing a few of my childhood memories lately - with a special emphasis on my family's pets. The post (or posts) about Empress are in progress right now, but I wanted to commemorate today with something short and happy.

One brief memory... I remember back when she was an outdoor cat only. Empress and I had an unspoken agreement with each other. If I called her, she came. If she called me, I came. Well that was fine during normal daytime hours, but what about when she is an early riser, and I want to stay in bed? Empress would come to my window, climb on the screen, and make such a meowing racket that I could not sleep! She wouldn't stop! So, having tried the pillow over the head option with no success, I was left to grab my blanket and pillow, go out the back door and curl up on the deck to sleep. Empress, happy to have achieved her goal, climbed on top of me and rested contentedly until I was ready to get up for the day. Let's just say we were both overjoyed when she was finally allowed in the house.

I thought this was supposed to be a happy memory. Since when has happy meant being pulled from my bed when I was too tired to think straight only to sleep on the porch? Well, I was happy -- happy to have Empress.

2 comments:

Under Southern Skies said...

I love reading your memories. We had a cat that looked exactly like yours, her name was "Patches."

Elizabeth J. said...

thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog.