Monday, July 06, 2009

Travel Log -- Day 1

My cousin is getting married this week, so my family left home today to start our trek to Virginia. We made it as far as south central Missouri today. The highlights of our day included the Springfield-Greene County Library in Springfield, Missouri and the Laura Ingalls Wilder Historic Home and Museum. The library was a last minute decision made by a genealogy hungry family historian, so I looked for cemetery records and obituaries while the rest of the family headed to lunch. It was more than worth it! I found obituaries for my great, great, great grandparents Dr. William Gale Gray and Caroline McCluer Gray. Also, I found information on three of their young sons that I didn't know about before.

Willie Gray died on 31 July 1870 at the age of 2 months and 11 days.

Thaddius L. Gray died on 20 November 1870 at the age of 3 years, 4 months and 27 days.

Loneas M. Gray died on 18 April 1864 at 3 years, 4 months and 27 days.

The Little House books remain some of my childhood favorites. I remember my mother reading them to us over over hot oatmeal lunches, and I reread them with much enjoyment as I grew older. It was a blessing to see the homes where Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote her books. My favorite parts included the tiny kitchen, the desks where she wrote her books, and Pa's fiddle.



One day down! Many more to go!

No comments: