Friday, August 21, 2009

The Reality

I wrote this post more than a year ago on July 22, 2008. I was going through a lot of emotional uncertainty at the time, and I stayed up late one night to write the following. Somehow, I never posted it. Perhaps it was too personal. Whatever the reason, I found it this week while looking through my blog archives and it encouraged me. Here goes...

Slumps and Rises. Contentment and bliss. Things change so quickly sometimes, and my emotional state can go from up in the clouds to quite a bit below them. I don’t think I am ever without joy. I have Jesus and He is more than enough. My family loves me and provides a closely knit circle of friends, and I know that no matter what, God has a great plan for my life.

I have never known overwhelming despair or sadness. I only have moments when I know all is not well in the world. This usually has to do with members of my extended family that are unbelievers (I want all of my loved ones to know the Lord and be with me in heaven someday) or when I consider my country and the messed up politics and amorality of my nation. Then there are the big questions about what comes next in my own life. It is hard not knowing how everything will work out.

My own little bubble of a life is mostly smooth sailing. Don’t get me wrong; I have troubles and trails. My character needs to conform to the fruit of the Spirit, and situations in my life perplex and confuse me at times. Discouragement threatens, but does not destroy, my joy. The weight of decisions and responsibly make me wish I had a clear road ahead of me where I can see everything in my future… I also wish I had the patience to deal with the reality of a foggy road full of sharp turns.

Ultimately, I know I have the best Guide around. When I look at the big picture of my life, I know I am truly blessed.

God loves every one of His children, and that love wraps around me like a big handmade quilt. The Bible tells me that He is my Provider, Father, and Friend. He is also my Master and Lord, and this gives my life purpose. He is my Purpose. When I have a bad day, a hope falters, or plans are thrown out and reworked, I know that Jesus is right beside me as the Holy Spirit guides me past my disappointment or exhaustion (mental, emotional, or otherwise) into a bright future that is beautifully orchestrated for my good.

For I know the plans I have for you,
declares the Lord,
plans for welfare and not for evil,
to give you a future and a hope.

(Jeremiah 29:11)

1 comment:

christal marshall said...

you have alot of nice thoughts here.. wow you all really traveled after the wedding and saw many great things! love the quilts you made.. hey when is your birthday.. i'm makin the family calendar for this year.