Thursday, November 26, 2009

Give Thanks!


"Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
for his steadfast love endures forever!"

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

My Dad asked me, "What would happen if we went around the table saying what we are thankful for, and someone said 'I am thankful for Thanksgiving!' What would we do then?"

Today, I am thankful that Thanksgiving didn't burn! Okay, so some of it did burn, but just a little! (and not the part we served!)

To the right: an appetizer of Autumn Carrot-Apple Soup with a Spanish Lingonberry Apple Sparking Juice

I was responsible for organizing the meal this year, so it was definitely an adventure. It was fun too! How could I help but enjoy it when I had such great help? My brother spent hours in the kitchen yesterday making chicken stock, cranberry sauce, and pecan pies, Dad took countless trips to the store for different things, Susanna made a delicious Waldorf salad and stayed up late making pies, my Dad was my faithful helper today as I cooked, my Mom set a gorgeous table and cleaned the house... I feel blessed beyond measure. Even though I didn't sleep too much last night (I was up till 1:00 with the soup), today was worth all the work. My aunt, uncle, and grandfather came for dinner, and it was wonderful to have them with us. We don't see my aunt and uncle very often.

So yes, I am thankful for my family today. I am also abundantly thankful for my friend Zachary who is a gift beyond measure. I miss him today and can't wait to see him soon!

Today's menu included:

Carrot Soup
Waldorf Salad (Susanna)
Roast Turkey
Cornbread Dressing
Gravy
Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Garlic Roasted Green Beans with Shallots and Hazelnuts
Cranberry Sauce (David)
Pumpkin Dinner Rolls
Pecan Pies (David)

And no, I didn't cook in the chef's whites. They are my dad's, and he wanted a "chef" picture of me. He certainly has a sense of humor!

3 comments:

faithful lofgren said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving, Elizabeth! All that cooking, wow...you are my hero! and a big high five for David helping out so much. :)

Under Southern Skies said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Elizabeth! I love the one with you in the chef outfit, cute. :)

Robert said...

Beautiful post, Elizabeth. Thanks for doing so much planning, prepping, cooking, and serving! ...A big job, and you were on the mark with each dish.