Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas Eve Musings

My town is experiencing "Unknown Precipitation" today on Christmas Eve. It appears white on the streets, but it looks like rain in the air, and it sounds like... something frozen. That is not good.


Nicely, the house is warm and comfortable inside. My Mom is making her traditional Swedish Tea Ring at the moment, and my Dad has finished planning the Christmas Eve Service for church. We are planning a simpler menu for tomorrow than usual to keep this year relaxed and Christ-centered.


I am looking forward to Advent tonight. My family members have taken turns researching the history of familiar Christmas songs to share with the rest of the family. My sister started with I saw Three Ships. My mom followed up with Oh, Little Town of Bethlehem. David chose What Child is This? for last night's lesson. It is my turn tonight to present the history of Silent Night.

Also during Advent, my family is learning the seven "I am" statements of Christ from the book of John. My Dad has presented the first three so far. Jesus said, (1) I am the Bread of Life, (2) I am the Light of the World, and (3) I am the Door of the Sheep. The rest may carry over into the 12 days of Christmas!

This is a Christmas ornament I made this year.

Christmas is a wonderful time, but I am reminded that it is not an easy time for everyone. It can be especially difficult for those who have lost loved ones during the Christmas season -- either this year or during some Christmas past. Members of my own extended family are going through this struggle right now. The good news is that Jesus came to fulfill Isaiah 61 and "comfort all who mourn."

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor;
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor,
and the day of vengeance of our God;
to comfort all who mourn;
to grant to those who mourn in Zion—
to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit;
that they may be called oaks of righteousness,
the planting of the Lord, that he may be glorified.
Isaiah 61:1-3

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Robert said...

This is a thoughtful post with some beautiful photos, Elizabeth. Thanks for showing your appreciation of our family traditions! It's a blessed season. ...Dad