Friday, January 01, 2010

Looking Back, Looking Forward

2010 follows a big year! How can 2009 be outdone? It will remain forever in my memory. My courtship with Zachary began. He is a godly man with strong values, a tender heart, and a fun personality. My relationship with him has been the delight of 2009.

My schooling has gone well. I have accomplished major milestones I didn’t know how I would get through -- it was only by the Lord's grace that I did. I am now well established in my “junior” phase. In only a few short months I will be a senior, and by this time next year, I should be done with my college studies for good.

It is the beginning of a new year. So, what are my goals for 2010? After reviewing my first journal entry from last year, I find that my 5 written objectives can be copied and pasted into this year’s journal with very few changes. They focus on spiritual and practical aims that I want to keep in mind as I go through this next year. It is not that I failed last year, but there is so much more room to improve. Certain areas did not get as much attention as they deserved.

I am excited about the One Thing challenge my church is taking on this year. It is our endeavor to read the Bible through this year TOGETHER. The last time I read the complete Bible in one year was in 2006. It was a challenging year, but it was such a rewarding time of spiritual development. I am so glad I resolved and completed reading the entire Bible that year. What would I have done without it?

This year, my church has taken on the challenge together. As a congregation, we will be reading from the same page all year. We want to study and understand the Bible together and communicate and share with each other what we have read. Instead of a race to see who can make it to the end, we will all read the same passages each day: one each from the Old Testament, the New Testament, the Psalms, and the Proverbs. If we miss a day, we are not to feel like we must catch up. Rather, we are to read that one day’s reading and concentrate on hearing what the Lord has to communicate through it. The Bible was never meant to be speed-read, so “catching up” is not advised. I am full of anticipation.

2010 holds good things in store for us!

4 comments:

Robert said...

It *was* a good year! God is blessing your eager heart and your diligent approach.

The "One Thing" challenge will bring some good focus into launching 2010. Thanks for all your encouragement!

Dad

Anna said...

Happy New Year! I hope your Bible reading program goes well.

melanieheather said...

Happy New Year! I am also reading through the Bible, but I plan on reading it through chronologically. I am enjoying it so far! :) Hope you enjoy your Bible Reading as well!

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

Thank you for the New Year greetings,everyone!

Melanie, I just recently found out about reading the Bible through chronologically, and I think it is a great idea! Maybe next year!