Thursday, January 07, 2010

Light Bulbs and the Bible


I have two light bulbs in my room's ceiling light fixture. One of them burned out a couple weeks ago, and I never got around to replacing it. The other one blew out this morning shortly after I woke up. I had a meeting to attend today, so I put off replacing them until I got home in the early afternoon. By that time, I had forgotten about the bad light bulbs. I went up to my room, flicked on the light, and -- nothing happened. My room was still dark.

No escape now, I went downstairs to get new light bulbs from the cabinet. I took the last two from the package, wrote "light bulbs" on the refrigerator shopping list, and returned upstairs with the light bulbs.

I was resolved to change my light bulbs. I was carrying light bulbs. I was thinking about light bulbs. Still, when I entered my room -- light bulbs in hand -- I instinctively reached for the light switch.

Turning on my room's light is a habit for me. I do it automatically. I have turned on my light many times a day, every day, for years. Nothing stops me from trying to turn on my light -- not even burned out bulbs.

That is the way I want my daily Bible reading to be. I want it to be instinctive. Just like I need light to see in my room, I need God's Word to illuminate my life, draw me closer to God, and help me become more like Christ. That is the purpose of committing to daily Bible reading.

4 comments:

Robert W Moore said...

That's a great illustration, Elizabeth! Thanks for your faithfulness...

Pastor Mike said...

I think a "light bulb" just turned on in my mind. Great thought.

Susanna Moore said...

Awesome example, Elizabeth! This is exactly the way I want my Bible reading to be, too.

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

Thank you for your comment, Pastor Mike. I like what you are doing over at your blog!