Friday, October 29, 2010

One Thing: Dependability

"Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say."
Philemon 1:21

Today's reading shows two very different pictures of following commands. We started Lamentations today, and it tells of the consequence that came to God's people because of their blatant and repeated disobedience.  They rejected the Lord, and suffering and famine was the result.  They turned their back on God's blessings.

Yet, in our New Testament reading, we read Paul's letter to Philemon.  Essentially, Paul is asking a favor of Philemon, and he has confidence that Philemon will honor Christ and do even more than was asked.  I want to have that obedient heart.  I want to be dependable.  It is not something that comes easily, I am sure of that.  It takes sacrifice and prayer -- and lots of practice.

My One Thing:  Be dependable.  Do more than is asked, and do so consistently without complaining. 

No comments: