Thursday, October 28, 2010

One Thing: Sarcasm

"Like a madman who throws firebrands, arrows, and death is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, 'I am only joking!'"
Proverbs 26:18-19

This proverb from today's reading reminds me of sarcasm.  I hate sarcasm for three reasons.  First, I do not appreciate it when others are sarcastic with me.  Second, I tend to use sarcasm, and I know other people don't (or shouldn't) appreciate it from me.  Third, it is wrong and immature.

The definition of "sarcasm" isn't pretty, but, practically, what does it look like?  I know that I typically use it when I may be less than happy about something, but I can't say so directly, so I say something I don't really mean in order to vent my unspoken emotion.  How often have I said, "I am just joking?"

I say things that could be hurtful -- or at least unhelpful -- and then think I can make it all better because it was all a deceit; "I was only joking!"

My One Thing: Don't hurt others with sarcasm.  Be honest and make sure your jokes are funny for everyone.

1 comment:

caitlin said...

This is really convicting. I've been doing a lot of thinking about what it means to be a woman with kindness on her lips. I don't think it means dripping with sarcasm! Thanks for sharing!