Thursday, November 18, 2010

One Thing: Slow to speak

"Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger..."
James 1:19

I read our One Thing! scriptures out loud to my mom tonight.  We decided our One Thing today should be "Keep your mouth shut" -- at the appropriate times, of course. :)  I am so thankful for a mother who has read the Bible out loud to me for so many years.  Now, I can read to her while she crochets, and we continue to form wonderful memories together.

James was very pointed in his instructions, and both my mom and I agreed that we need to work on being quick to hear and slow to speak.  Oh yeah, and slow to anger too.  A lot of trouble -- and sin -- will be avoided if we slow down, listen, and consider our words carefully before speaking.  We must not be hearers only of the Word, but doers also.

Thanks, Mom, for being an example of a godly woman who desires to become more like Christ!

One Thing: Be slow to speak.

No comments: