Monday, December 13, 2010

My Advent One Thing: Hope

Psalm 131

A Song of Ascents. Of David.
O LORD, my heart is not lifted up;
   my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
   too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
   like a weaned child with its mother;
   like a weaned child is my soul within me.

 O Israel, hope in the LORD
   from this time forth and forevermore.

My family has been studying "hope" during our Advent devotions this year.  Today's One Thing! reading from Psalms perfectly coincided with our theme.  God is our hope, but what is hope?

Hope is the secure place of refuge where our enemy cannot reach us.  It is the expectation of good.

God is all this and more to us, His children.  We look back and see His faithfulness in sending Jesus to earth as a baby, and we look forward to His second coming with hope. This is what Advent or "arrival" is all about.

As in so many years in the past, my dad has led our family in our nightly Advent devotions this season.  I want him to know how grateful I am for his leadership in this area.  He has been a rock of sound advice, loving discipline, godly fatherhood, Christian faithfulness...  

This is my last Advent season at home with my parents, and I feel blessed that both my dad and mom devoted their time and energies to teach me the true meaning of Christmas.  Our Advent tradition has meant so much to me, and I look forward to the next two weeks of Bible reading, teaching, and prayer! 

Thank you, Dad!

3 comments:

Robert said...

Elizabeth, you bless me more than I can say. Thank you for writing this.

I love you.

Dad

BILLYBOB said...

We both want to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year.Your future husband is a very blessed man;you remind us so much of your father.

Much love.
Roger and Robin Boucher

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

Thanks, Dad. I am glad it blessed you!

Mr. and Mrs. Boucher, thanks for "stopping in." Have a Merry Christmas!