Monday, January 17, 2011

Perfectly Timed Knowledge

My Bible reading today was about the family of Israel’s move to Egypt.  What stuck out to me is that God let Jacob/Israel think his son Joseph was dead for many years.  God was silent.  Only later – in His own timing –  was the silence broken in a way that gave hope and reassurance to Israel about the years to come.  God told Israel:

“I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you into a great nation. I myself will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also bring you up again, and Joseph’s hand shall close your eyes” (Genesis 46:3-4).

God is always a step (and then some) ahead of us, and He will always provide us the information we need at the time we need it.  It was not in Israel’s timing – I am sure he would have appreciated hearing that his son was alive much sooner than he did – but it was God’s perfect timing that made it possible for Joseph to rise to prominence in Egypt and stockpile food for the terrible drought.

The family’s move to Egypt would prevent the Israelites from assimilating with the pagan Canaanites.  God’s timing brought this about.  If Israel had known everything in his own timing, he would have “rescued” Joseph from Egypt and potentially caused the downfall of his family.

I can apply this to my own life.  There is much that I care to know about the upcoming days, but God will provide this knowledge in the time that is best for me.  I will trust Him with my today and all of my tomorrows.

3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Greetings from the Netherlands. Yes, my real name is Elizabeth, like yours.
Beautiful story about Joseph in Egypt.
Joseph didn't understand what was happening but he trusted the Lord. What an example for us!
Can you tell me something about
Quines starting points. What is that?
Greetings for your family.

Elizabeth Ellen Moore said...

Hello Elizabeth,

Greetings from Oklahoma! I enjoyed going through Starting Points many years ago. It was a great time of spiritual growth as it encouraged me to dive deeply into what I believe and why I believe it. Often, the assignments demanded more from me than I was accustomed too, but I am so thankful it did!

From the Cornerstone website, which you can access here: http://www.cornerstonecurriculum.com/Curriculum/SP/sp.htm#

"STARTING POINTS is the biblical world view primer. It is the first place to begin. The purpose of this study is to establish the biblical world view in the hearts and minds of your children. It lays the solid foundation for their own personal lives. It also provides a compass for giving direction in the evaluation of all the ideas that will confront them in life. And finally, this study is an excellent preparatory course for World Views of the Western World."

Hannah said...

Loved this, Elizabeth. Thank you so much for posting! It's something I very much needed to hear just now. Many blessings!