Five years earlier – in 1915 – William, Eva, and their youngest son had returned to Allegan County, Michigan to be close to their oldest son George and his family. Much of the world was at war at the time, but the struggle seemed far away from the Moore’s peaceful home in the United States. That changed when the U.S. joined the struggle in 1917. The war became very real to the Moore family when their “baby,” Lawrence, left to serve his country during the Great War.
The return to Michigan only lasted 3 years, and William and Eva returned to San Joaquin County, California, in 1918. The war was over, but Lawrence was still an engineman in the Navy, so they probably didn’t see him much. Four of their children were in Elkhorn, however, so William and Eva had 7 of their 11 grandchildren living in the area.
Anna and her family lived only a 10 minute walk away at 505 E. Hilborn Street. Anna’s husband, George W. Van Noate was still working at a plumbing shop, and the two boys were working too. Leon B. (19) was a janitor at a hardware store, and his younger brother Reid M. (16) did the same thing at a dental office.
Ruth E. (33) and her husband Fredrick Dougherty (31) were living at 18 W. Lockeford Road – a home they owned free of mortgage. Fred had moved up in his business and expanded as well. He worked of his own accord as a real estate agent, but he also worked in insurance.
William F. (35) and his wife Ethel (38) were renting a farmhouse on Lockeford Road, and he worked as a truck driver to support their growing family. He and Ethel were blessed with two boys and a girl: Kenneth (7), Frances (6), and Charles (4).
William O. and Eva Moore’s daughter Bess was probably still living in Spokane, Washington where her husband Dr. M. E. Galbreath was a dentist. He was enumerated on the census while at his workplace, but their home address has proved trickier to locate.
Back by the Great Lakes, George (42) and his family had jumped the Michigan/Indiana border a couple of times in the last decade. By 1920, George was working for the South Bend Toy Company in South Bend, Indiana. Although under mortgage, George and Elsie owned their home at 1619 Leer Street – which wasn’t too far away from the factory. Their oldest, twelve year old Richard W. was a carrier boy for the newspaper, and they had three young daughters: Ruth (10), Margaret (8), and Georgene (2 ½).