Monday, October 10, 2011

Too Much Soup


I made the Wedding Soup from the King Arthur Flour website this week and ran into some trouble.  It "suggests" that you have at least a 6 quart pot for the recipe, and my largest is just barely 3 quarts, so I planned to half the recipe.  Unfortunately, I only remembered that I was making less soup when I didn't need to remember, and I forgot when remembrance would have come in handy – when I was actually making the soup.  At that point, I forgot.

So, I had a pot full of cooked onions, carrots, seasonings, etc. and had already begun to pour in the chicken stock before I realized my mistake.  I didn’t have enough room for the rest of the chicken stock, never mind the spinach, meatballs and orzo that would go in last.  I couldn't divide as it was too late...

So, I ended up using all three of my pots and a stove safe metal bowl to finish the soup in.

Do you know how hard it is to make one soup in four containers!  It was a hot kitchen, but I had to stand by and watch very carefully.   There wasn’t much room at the top of each pot, so they would boil over quickly.

It is a good thing that exact measurements weren't required.  Each soup came out with a slightly different taste, and they also had varying thicknesses. One was soupy, one was stew like, and another was more like a regular pasta dish.  I ended up dishing up our dinner bowls from two separate pots!


4 comments:

Rachel Beth said...

Wow, one soup in four containers...that must have been difficult! I'm sure though that no matter what the difference in the four, all tasted delicious. :)

God bless.

Elizabeth E Pruett said...

Thanks, Rachel! We had plenty of food for a while, and there is still some in the freezer!

Sisters of Grace said...

☺ your story made me laugh.I guess with seven siblings I can't quite imagin that being to much.

♥Michelle

Elizabeth E Pruett said...

Michelle, yes, sadly, it didn't make too much soup for a family of your size. :) However, you probably have bigger pots than I do! We have already eaten most of it up, although I do have some put away in the freezer.