Saturday, January 21, 2012

Peace that Surpasses Understanding

The Christmas decorations are finally put away, so one sad looking poinsettia is all that remains of the Christmas season.  Somehow, the melodies of Fum, Fum, Fum, and Feliz Navidad continue to be on my mind, however, and I find myself humming and whistling them all the time.  Christmas is never completely banished when I am around!

Fresh hotdog and hamburger buns.
To break the silence of an often too quiet apartment, I have been listening to a steady stream of praise worship -- many by Chris Tomlin -- and this helps to improve my mood no matter what else is going on.  I am also on the lookout for soothing music that will help create a peaceful environment during labor and delivery (only about nine weeks away!).  My mom found an old recording put out by Integrity Music called Peace that she listened to when she was in labor with me more than twenty years ago, so that forms a good foundation for my playlist.  I have also added some personal favorites such as Ashokan Farewell and some new finds including a beautiful arrangement of Come Thou Fount by Stephanie Immordino.

I was so excited to see a beautiful snowfall -- my first of the season.
Just as I expected, I completed the baby boy quilt two weeks ago, and I started piecing the baby girl quilt the same day.  Unfortunately, my sewing machine and I didn't get along for a few days, and it took longer than it should have for me to discover it was because my Singer didn't like the thickness of the new thread I gave it.  There was supposed to be all-purpose thread in the machine, but, somehow, I managed to buy and load heavy thread instead.  Anyway, I was so upset that I lost two days because of a simple mistake on my part that I sewed almost all day and finished piecing the new quilt top that day!  It was "sandwiched" in time for our weekend trip to visit family and friends, so I was able to get a lot of quilting done while enjoying family time.

French Toast on a relaxed Saturday with my husband.  Served with honey!
The last two weeks have had some unexpected challenges in it, but I am so thankful for the promise in Philippians 4:7:

"And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

My Ladies Bible Study has been studying Hebrews as part of the Faithful, Abundant, and True study put out by Kay Arthur, Priscilla Shirer, and Beth Moore, and it has certainly helped keep my troubles in perspective.  We serve an awesome God!

Many blessings on your week!

~Elizabeth

1 comment:

Robert Wayne Moore said...

I miss your whistling!

Dad