Friday, July 06, 2012

Rough Day



I am frazzled.

Today was another early day.  Zachary had to be at work at 6:30.  Anna got me up at 5:00 or so, and we were up for good.  I did get a nap later in the morning and for that I am grateful.

I was washing dishes at 10:30 when I stepped away from the sink for a minute to care for Anna.  When I returned to the sink our water pressure was gone.  There was only a slight trickle of water.  Well, that ended my dish-washing.  Forget cooking oatmeal for my lunch.  Say goodbye to laundry day too.  I really needed to do laundry, but even I did not know how much yet.

The water came back around 1:00, but it was dirty red.  There is no way I am going to drink, cook, or wash with water that looks like that.  I am pretty sure my whites would have come out looking rust colored.  I know this because I cleaned Anna up after a blowout diaper, and her white onesie now has a larger dirty spot than when I first started rinsing it out.

That wasn’t the biggest mess of the day however.

Anna threw up this afternoon while I was feeding her.  She hardly spits up at all, so it took me by surprise.  This wasn’t normal spit up either.  This was projectile throw up that came out her mouth and her nose.  It scared her and me.  Her panicked face almost made me panic, but as a mother, that is not a real option.  I sat her up, patted her back, and talked as calmly as I could until it stopped.  Once I got the quiver out of my own voice I was able to talk more comfortingly.  I breathed a big sigh of relief when she finally gave me a small smile in response to my forced one.  The cottage cheese looking throw up was everywhere, and I mean everywhere!

I wish doing laundry was an option, but it is not.

Once I got us cleaned up we took a short nap together (only she could sleep) which helped both of us.  After that, it has been a struggle to keep her happy today, but I know days like this pass, and even on a day like today, there is joy. She smiles at me from across the room or falls asleep contentedly in my arms.  Today was rough, and I felt like crying, but I know it is all worth it.

2 comments:

Joy said...

So sorry you and Anna had a rough day :(

Robert Wayne Moore said...

Elizabeth, seeing the joy in Anna's face always makes me smile! I've read these posts from the facebook links, but it's enjoyable to come back again and again. Your blog is one of your greatest accomplishments.

Dad