Thursday, December 13, 2012

Swedish Tea Ring


My grandmother's sister Mary holding the 1948 Tea Ring
One of my 3rd great grandfathers was a Swedish immigrant named John Peterson. He married Clara Olson, the daughter of Norwegian immigrants. John and Clara had a daughter named Palma Lena. Palma grew up to become the mother of Irene Beatrice, my great grandmother. It is this family line that carried down the Christmas food tradition that is my favorite: the Swedish Tea Ring.

My mother made this special treat (like the two above) for us every year at Christmastime, just as her mother had done before her. Growing up, I knew I would carry this special tradition on when I was married. My first Swedish Tea Ring went in the oven last year; it wasn’t as pretty as the ones I enjoyed as a child, but I have many years ahead of me to work on my technique!

My First Tea Ring: 2011

No comments: