Friday, February 15, 2013

Listening

Knowing God's will has been on my mind a lot lately.  Zachary and I have been discussing some big questions about the seasons of our lives, timing, -- just stuff. Then, my Bible Study at church started working through Priscilla Shirer's Discerning the Voice of God.  The timing couldn't have been better.

I mull things over in my mind sometimes, and if my brainstorming doesn't produce an answer, I pray about it. 

That is all backwards.

One of the main things I am getting from my study is that I need to be bringing every aspect of my life to God in prayer and then be LISTENING for His answer in expectation that His Holy Spirit will speak to me.

Sadly, in the rush caused by external distractions, my conversations with God sometimes resemble phone messages left after the beep instead of vibrant conversations where I share my heart, listen for His voice, and then share some more.

It doesn't have to be that way.

I do want to hear from the Holy Spirit, and He does communicate with me, but I want more.  I want to listen more and involve Him in every decision my family makes. I want to be so involved in my conversation with Him that I talk to Him about whatever is going on in my life first and then wait for His response. That way, I allow Him to be my solution.  I don't need to come up with the answers on my own. I don't need to rely on my wits, common sense, or intuition. Those are all faulty, but my God is perfect.

So right now, I want to slow down and listen for His voice before rushing off to do the next thing.