Friday, March 22, 2013

Family Trip 2013: Day 8

It was technically still Day 7 when we showed up at our hotel in Albuquerque, but this definitely belongs to the Day 8 report. You will see why in a minute.

Anna fell asleep on the way to the hotel, and she woke for only a moment when I took her out of her carseat.  Zachary and I took Anna and a couple things up to the room. I stayed behind with the sleeping baby while Zachary went down to get the rest of the luggage.  The plan was for him to return and set up the crib, and I would place Anna in her bed and go to sleep myself.  She was really tired, so I had high hopes she would sleep for at least a few solid hours.  We planned on driving to Oklahoma City the next day (Friday) then go up to Ponca City to visit family on Saturday and return home that night.  That would leave us Sunday and Monday to rest at home before Zachary needed to go back to work.

Those were our plans.

Read ahead to see what actually happened.

Imagine this. I'm sitting in a dimly lit hotel room with a sleeping baby. Zachary is getting the luggage. I hear a noise behind my chair but I credit it to an overactive imagination or... there it is again. I get up and discover a giant cockroach in front of me. Still holding a sleeping Anna, I grab for the camera and try to snap a picture. It won't take because of the darkness. I grab my shoes and shake them out (while still holding the sleeping baby), put them on, and go towards the door. Another cockroach guards the exit. I stomp it under foot and leave. I wait for my hero in the bright hallway. The baby awakes. We leave (with a refund) and decide to drive through the night. We take turns at the wheel and return in record time. We step into our Home Sweet Home, but there is a damp smell. The bathroom looks like it was rained on.  The ceiling sags.  Everything is wet. In our absence, our upstairs neighbor has flooded her bathroom... which in turn soaks ours.

Welcome home!

Seriously though. It was a great trip. We are blessed!


We did not take pictures.

1 comment:

Robert Wayne Moore said...

No photos?!?!

Needless to say, I'm relieved you are safe, and hopefully Arizona has made an indelible mark upon you. It did me. I want to return, and perhaps it should be sooner than later.

Thank you for such engaging and entertaining blog entries, Elizabeth.

With my love,

Dad