Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Jesus Prayed for the Church Throughout Time -- Including Me

Jesus prayed for His disciples. He prayed for the believers that would follow. He prayed for me.  John 17 is one of my favorite passages in the entire Bible. There is so much there in Jesus' heartfelt prayer to His Father, the only true God.  Read it.

Jesus' prayer makes me feel more at one with Jesus, my Heavenly Father, and the followers of Christ throughout history. Jesus was not the start of a movement; He is the movement. The amazing thing is that I am His and get to be part of this movement too -- the movement that shows the world that Jesus was sent by a God who loves them and wants them to be one with Him.

Jesus prayed I would have His joy. Even though I may be hated and cannot escape the troubles of this world, He prayed I would be kept from the evil one and would be sanctified in the truth of His Word. In the relative ease of my life, I also pray for the persecuted Christians, my brothers and sisters in the faith, who are suffering unfathomable pain and loss right now for the cause of Christ and the Kingdom of God.

I want to make an impact on the world -- particularly the little part of the world I am in daily contact with: my family. I am a wife and a mother. My life is simple and full.  I want to live in such a way that my children come to know Jesus as their Savior and Lord simply because they know my relationship with Him is real and they want that relationship with Him as well. My life has purpose and joy -- the joy Jesus prayed I would have. It is a joy I am constantly fighting for as I continue to allow the truth of His Word to work in my life.

Being a young wife and mother is not without challenges, but God is able to see me through. I serve my husband and children, but I don't work just for their sakes. I do it for my Savior and the Kingdom of God.

How can I be more intentional about this? How do I take my motive and make it my constant motion?

No comments: