Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Smiles, Laughs, and Sibling Joy


John smiles on his two month birthday.
When my baby looks up at me, shows recognition in his bright blue eyes, and gives me a big smile, I feel that all is well.  I enjoy John's grin and his halting attempt at a laugh -- usually brought on by my husband when he comes home from work or by Anna when she coos over him. In general, John hasn't smiled as much as Anna did at this age. Even though he seems happy much of the time -- especially while being held -- his smiles are still treats.

Really, when the baby is happy, everyone is happy... unless it is almost midnight.  Then, it just means he is isn't sleeping, and I would gladly give up "happy" for "sleeping" most of the time at that point.  Still, John is a laid-back, contented baby, and he is sleeping well most days. He takes things in stride, and at just over two months old, that is welcome. He hasn't been colicky at all... which means I feel saner this time around.

Anna meets John for the first time
Watching Anna with John has brought me so much joy. She greets him warmly in the morning, after her nap, or when returning home from an outing. She wants to hold him (with my help), rock him, hold his hand, stroke his head, "read" him books, and bring him toys.

Anna loves holding John.
I don't remember much of when I was two with a baby brother of my own, but seeing Anna and John together helps me understand from an outsider's perspective why I love my own "little" brother so much. We share so much history together. We were children together, and now, as adults, I don't think I could care for him much more than I do.

David and I "matched" back in July so had to take a picture.
I love having David over to my home. He is in my prayers, and I so enjoy visiting, talking, and playing games with him. He is and always will be one of my greatest friends. Although every relationship has its bumps, twists, and turns, I thank God that he gave me David. I hope Anna and John will have as much fun together as David and I had in our kid years. Perhaps they will stay up late telling stories to each other or make bows and arrows out of sticks and string like their momma and Uncle "Day-day." I hope they won't fight as much as we did sometimes, but they too will have to learn how to get along... how to share, compromise, and act unselfishly.

I look at John and his smile. I revel in Anna's excitement and joyful laugh. I smile and laugh with them.  What a joy they are! Thank you, Jesus, for giving me two little ones!

My little family. Zachary and I are so blessed! Thank you, Jesus!

2 comments:

Joy said...

Beautiful family!

Robert Wayne Moore said...

This is a really nice blog entry, Elizabeth. Please keep it up. I'm looking forward to beautiful family times during the Advent and Christmas seasons!

With my love,
Dad