Sunday, December 21, 2014

Gingerbread House Part Two: Gingerbread Town

This is me with Moore Lumber
It was ten years before I had the chance to decorate a gingerbread house. Actually, it wasn't really a gingerbread house at all. It was a gingerbread lumber supply business in a quaint little town made of gingerbread, frosting, and candy. Its sign read:

WELCOME TO
PLEASANTON, OKLAHOMA
POPULATION 16

Then followed a list of the eight founding citizens: my sister, brother, me, and the five friends who collaborated to build the town.  The sign ended with a note stating that "Town building code specifies that no inedible materials be allowed within the city limits."

My sister, me, and David at the art show
Pleasanton and the event that created it was organized by several families who were quite familiar with confectionery creations. They were practiced and seasoned builders, and my siblings and I were the newbies. I was amazed at our friends' creativity and felt privileged to be part of such a fun endeavor.

There was a church, hotel, train, general store, garden, horse and carriage, my brother's bank, my sister's pretzel log cabin, my Moore Lumber, etc.
my sister Susanna's log cabin
We were instructed how to make the patterns during the planning process, one of the moms picked them up and took them home to make and bake the gingerbread pieces (which must have been a ton of work), and then the party could begin!

my brother David's bank
There was so much candy! The variety of colored frosting and candy meant that Pleasanton was a vibrant place to live and work. Moore Lumber had a yellow facade with a white door and windows trimmed in pretzel sticks. The sides and back were frosted brown (over the brown gingerbread), and the roof was tiled in chocolate bars.

The creative process was exciting and the time with friends rewarding. I realize there was a lot of work that went on behind the scenes. I am so thankful. Our family had a blast!

Any successful town from this era needed a train.
The icing on our gingerbread experience was that our town was included in a gingerbread show held at the local art center. There were quite a few entries, but very few collaborative efforts on the scale of Pleasanton.  I think being part of a group increased our creative horizons. ...Because really, Moore Lumber wouldn't have made much sense without the community surrounding it.

Thank you, friends, for the opportunity to be involved in such a fun project!

I still wanted to make a more traditional gingerbread "house," but more on that in Part Three.

I was impressed by the garden.
Thanks again to my mom for finding these pictures from 2005!

No comments: