Monday, December 15, 2014

New DAR Member; Patriot Ancestor Solomon Tuttle

Happy! One of my joys in genealogy is when my research is examined and approved by professional genealogists. Hard work has paid off, and I am now a member of the DAR.

My patriot ancestor is my 5th great grandfather, Solomon Tuttle, who entered the service May 1775 and was at the taking of Ticonderoga by Ethan Allen and of Fort St. Jean by General Montgomery. He served as a Minute Man 3 years and was a prisoner 1 year, 9 months, and 3 days. He was born in Connecticut, farmed in Vermont, built one of the first houses in Athens, Ohio, and died at the age of 73 on 30 November, 1830 -- on what would become my birthday more than 150 years later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you. We are distant relatives through Capt. Tuttle (I am 2xgreat-grand son of Martha McKown). I admire his service greatly. My wife and I visited Fort Ticonderoga in July 2015 and even rode a ferry boat across Lake Champlain, not far from where the Tuttles crossed from Vermont in 1775. It was a day I hope to never forget. Hope to return soon with my sons to show them where their ancestor helped in America's history. Sincerely, Kirk Bruene, Sioux City, IA.(kirk@rsc2online.com)

Elizabeth E Pruett said...

Thank you for stopping by and telling me about your experiences. We have an amazing history! I would love to recreate your trip myself when possible!