Saturday, March 14, 2015

"Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls is a boy book through and through. That may be why I hadn't read it before. It has a different flavor than The Little Princess or Anne of Green Gables. "Everybody" may not have read it, but it is a "Top 100" book (for children anyway), so Where the Fern Grows will fill the "Book everyone has read except you" category on my list. My husband remembers a teacher reading this book to him in school. 

Billy is a 10 year old boy who begs his parents for a pair of redbone coonhounds. They can't afford to buy the dogs for him, and Billy learns to work hard to achieve a long term goal. Self-sufficiency and care for others is something he grows into, and I enjoyed watching the transformation. By the end of the story, I felt the boy was prepared to launch into manhood. I appreciated that the character of Billy isn't ashamed to show his emotions. His feelings for both his family and dogs run deep.

This is truly an Oklahoma story. It was written by a native Oklahoman and set in the Oklahoma Ozarks. It makes me want to visit that part of our beautiful state. I was warned this was a sad book, but the adventure within made up for the bittersweet ending.

No comments: