Saturday, July 04, 2015

Independence Day Thanksgiving and Reflection

I read the Declaration of Independence to my little ones last night (mostly for me). They “helped” me make potato salad this morning, and I spent part of the time praying out loud as I thanked the Lord for our blessings, freedom, and comfort. I asked Him to bring revival to our people. I repented on behalf of our nation. God doesn't owe America any favors and there is a lot of sin here, but I would still rather live here than anywhere else. We have it pretty good.

So, I dress myself and my little ones in red, white, and blue, enjoy chocolate mousse, and take pictures. I don't really want to be in a big crowd and sing "I am proud to be an American" at the top of my lungs, but I am still thankful and celebratory in my own way.

One BIG thing; no one is forcing me to do wrong. I am free to be in a God glorifying marriage (to a man), I am free to give birth to my own children, and I am free to teach them about Jesus. Praise God!

Looking at current events doesn't give us much to celebrate at times, and our country is very different than the one we started with nearly 250 years ago. That is why I celebrate the groundwork that was put in place way back when and the fact that sinful people didn't train-wreck our nation any faster. No nation is incorruptible. I am thankful for what we have and choose not to think too much about what I wish it was.

I am thankful for my country, and I love my home, my America.

Happy Independence Day!

No comments: