Thursday, December 31, 2015

"More Stories from Grandma's Attic" by a New Favorite Author

It is the last day of the year, and I am posting the final review to complete my 2015 reading challenge. Just in time! The final category to fill is "A book by a favorite author" -- an easy one certainly.

But, it wasn't.

I chipped away at Jane Austen's Selected Letters for most of the year, but I still haven't read it cover to cover. Then, my sister gave me a beautiful copy of Mere Christianity on the last day of November, and I thought it would be the perfect choice. Only, December is an incredible month full of gatherings with friends and family, shopping, wrapping presents, baking, and my favorite tradition, the daily lighting of the Advent candles as my family read, prayed, and sang together before putting the children to bed.

And, in all this, I finished reading a book. It was easy, simple, fun, and wholesome. I think I was holding a drowsy toddler in a dark room during the middle of the night when I happened to come across the last page on my lighted Kindle screen. More Stories from Grandma's Attic was written by my newest favorite author, Arleta Richardson. I read the first book in her Grandma's Attic series earlier in the year as a bonus book that didn't fit neatly into any of the 13 categories of the reading challenge. Five months later, I can say confidently that Arleta Richardson is a favorite author. Her stories are memorable and sweet. I return to them over and over again in my mind. A good book doesn't have to be deep, long, or intended for a mature audience. I find my favorites were often intended for children.

Arleta Richardson's approach of remembering her childhood and the stories her grandmother told about her own childhood -- going back much more than a century -- appealed to me in every way. The good news is that there are more books by Richardson to discover.

Have a happy New Year!

No comments: