Thursday, August 18, 2016

Review of P. L. Travers' "Mary Poppins"

I typically like a book better than its movie adaptation if I get to it first. Unfortunately, I think I watched Disney's Mary Poppins before I ever began reading. Also, there is no doubt that reading a children's book in your late twenties is not quite the same as if you had read it as a child. Excuses aside, I didn't enjoy this book very much.  I didn't like the character of Mary Poppins whatsoever, and the adventures she experiences with the children were stranger and less charming than those featured and adapted in the film. It was an odd book I almost didn't finish, but at least now I can have an actual opinion about the story and characters. I don't think I will waste my children's time by reading this one to them.

No comments: